Sunday, April 1, 2007

Bullying Software

As I have been looking into software that I can use in my fifth grade class, I came across a really neat in short article that was about a bullying software program that teaches both parents and students what bullying is. This really appeals to me because I stress a high level of family and community in t=my class and hate to see my students being picked on. The web page look great unfortunately is was not as kid friendly as I hoped and the virtual school where the actual "game" for learning about bullying was not up and running. This site good be great and very helpful and I will be checking back from time to time to see if it is up and running. I will let you know when it is. Here is the link to the web site: www.e-circus.org

3 comments:

kevin404 said...

I'm going to talk about some PowerPoint related software in the coming week, and found an article on game playing that might interest you in light of your post:

Squire, K., & Jenkins, H. (2003). Harnessing the Power of Games in Education. InSight, 3, Retrieved April 2, 2007, from http://www.edvantia.org/publications/pdf/InSight_3-1_Vision.pdf.

Ken Capps said...

While I do not teach in the K-12 system (I teach community college) this is not an area that I (fortunately) have to deal with on a day to day basis. However, as a father of an elementary student (and another starting in the fall), this topic is of interst to me. As you stated, this site is not as user-friendly as it could be, altough I did learn about the types of bullying and scope of the problem in school. I will be interested in seeing the game about bullying when it is up and running.

Steven said...

There are a bunch of computer simulations at practiQuest.com that allow children in grades 2-5 to practice bullying and violence prevention skills.