Sunday, April 22, 2007

Choosing Educational Software

First I want to say thanks for the web site to look at some educational software for elementary students. I really appreciated it. Anyways, this article was more for parents to find software for their children at home, but I found it helpful for me because it point out some good thoughts to keep in mind when looking for software. It is written with the point of informing parents and others how to go about getting good educational software. Some of the points that it makes is that age and level of software most be taken in to consideration fro developers and people who buy the software. There were to big points I found interesting when reading this article. These points were people can find software to buy and use. The two places the article said to find good software is the NEA catalog of educational software and stores were you can try out the software. I wasn't even aware that there were stores that you could buy software and try it out before you buy it. In general this was a great article to read to get some thoughts and concerns about software to use in my class. I wonder if there are any places around here in Gainesville. He is the link to the article: www.atarimagazines.com/compute/issue52/choosing_educational_software.php

2 comments:

Ken said...

I am in the same boat as you. All of the software I have used have basically been "You break the seal - you buy the package". Due to the expense of some of the packages, I can see where parents maybe a bit reluctant to invest for their children. Its not that they don't want to but economics does play a role. I have looked at the NEA catalog and wish the descriptions would give more detail. However, you can only print so much.

Good luck on your project.

Ken

Kevin Savetz said...

Please note that that article is from 1984. Although many of the points made in the linked article are timeless and still valid, some specifics, like the NEA catalog of educational software mention, may be dated.