Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Making Good Educational Software

This article was an interview with an editor of Microsoft's Encarta Encyclopedia, Latha Menon. What I like about this article was that the interview was set up as Latha answers questions from people which mostly were teachers. As the article goes on Latha is ask some background information about how she got into Microsoft and editing software, but he meet of the article stressed the concerns with software in the educational setting. Throughout the article Latha stated that software has tremendous potential as a leaning tool, and we have to maximise the potential of it (1999). Latha also challenges us to think about the range of media that is out there to deliver learning outcomes to students, because she believes that you can waste media if you don't use it right (1999).
I liked that this article made me feel the technology is something that is a concern and an area of interest world wide. Due to this it is not something that we should overlook and hope that it never becomes an issue for us educators. Latha states, even in a village with one t.v., there is a huge potential for educational purposes (1999). That t.v. can display images, places, events, and ideas all of which we can maximise us a learning tool. I never really thought about it this way, but Latha has a point. Even if I don't have more than three computers in my class at least I have some and with them I have the opportunity to expose students to learning through technology and software. Thus giving them another way to support the knowledge I taught them and open them up to a world of more idea and learning.

For the whole interview click below:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/features/467124.stm

Reference
BBC News (1999). "What Makes Good Educational Software". retrieved from,http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/features/467124.stm

2 comments:

kevin404 said...

I very much agree with the idea of "exposing students to learning through technology." Whle a total integration of technology into the classroom might be a good thing, the mere exposure to technology will have its own advantages.

Ken said...

Hi Rick,

Technology, any form like the tv mentioned, has made the world a smaller place so information can be shared at a faster pace. The students of today are savier than I was at their age because they are exposed to more than I was. If I was curious about something, I had to go to the library and sort the card catalog to find my book (which was probably a few years old already). Today, students can get instant access to current information.

I often wonder what the classroom will be like when it is time for me to retire??

Ken