Thursday, March 22, 2007

Making Computer in Classrooms Work

I found this paper online that it seems a student wrote. I was sure if I was going to use it, but it did state some good points and after talking to my wife she said it might be useful for others to know what is needed. To me is was mostly pretty obvious, but he had many numbers and statistics to back up the information that we already know.
Basically this paper stated that computers are becoming more and more regular in the classroom and that the lack of knowledge of computers is hurting the incorporation of computers in the classroom. We all know that technology can frighten away people before they even try it. I think that is why I'm so interested in learning facts and ideas to get other teachers on board for the use of technology in the classroom. This scare makes it hard to use technology and computers to the fullest extent and get the most out of them. This problem needs to be fixed and fixed fast since computers are becoming very popular in society. One of the interesting statistics the write has is that, "80% of students with family incomes of 75,000 dollars or more use computers at home , while only 10% of students use computers at home with a family income of 10,000 dollars (Lee 1999). This means that there is a gap of students that are not getting any interaction with computers and technology, so we as teachers need to get it to them. In order for this to happen though teachers need the right training to use the computers and technology appropriately. The problem goes back to teachers being scare of technology, so what can be done. I laugh because I think of Bransford from our reading this week and picture his answer for this problem would be close to locking teachers in a room and tell them they can't go home until they figure out how to work computers and programs. Not getting to go home at the end of a day would really get that anxiety going.
Anyways, it was a good read to see what information in number form on information I already knew.

Here's the link:
Lee, N. 1999, "Computer Technology in the Classroom."
Retrieved March 13, 2007 from: http://www.msu.edu/~leenicho/paper4.htm

2 comments:

kevin404 said...

I wonder if there are assistance programs to help low income families purchase computers. I know I've been on dealnews.com ( agreat resource for cheap stuff) and seen fully featured PCs for under $200...but it takes the internet to find those deals, and even $200 is out of reach for some families. I tried to search Google for such programs but came up empty handed. The following is an article about the complexities of home computer use that I found and may be useful:

http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/issuebrf/sib00314.htm

Ken said...

Hi Rick,
An interesting article. One area that I was thinking about while reviewing your site was the experience level of the teachers. Poor students live in poor districts which do not pay alot. Therefore, young teachers go there for a few years, gain experience and move elsewhere for the money (I know this is not the case for everyone).

The influx of new young teachers who are not confident in their teaching abilities keep this group from using some of the technology. Once these teachers become comfortable and try "new things", they are probably at a new district.

Just an idea,
Ken