Friday, March 16, 2007

Computers In The Classroom

Getting computers in the classroom may seem like the tricky part of the using technology in the classroom, but that is only half of the work. Once you have computers in your classroom it is important to use them in a positive and rewarding way that supports the growth of your students.
The web site that I checked out for this blog had a simple list of ten things to remember when integrating technology into the classroom. The list was very informative and kept simple. The creator of the web site definitely wanted the reader to enjoy the reading and not feel over burdened by lengthy paragraphs. This web site was a great place that gives the reader ideas on how to start using computers properly in school and the classroom.

Here is the link to visit and check out the web site:
http://pigseye.kennesaw.edu/~snoviell/integrating.htm

3 comments:

kevin404 said...

I absolutely agree. In fact, I think there's something zen-like in having a checklist to follow. It's almost, relaxing, like once you've gone through the list, something was accomplished...maybe that's just the bureaucrat in me. I especially respect #2, "start slow". Teacher experimentation and inquiry is very important. In fact one of the big debates at Kennesaw right now (I know some people there) is about Scholarly Teaching vs. the Scholarship of Teaching. As far as I can tell the only difference is that the latter is data based and the former is anecdotal. Anyway, the argument is that we as teachers need to 'experiment' with our lessons and generate data to make scientific conclusions about what strategies work and what strategies don't across all educational levels. I hope I'm not rambling in my comment and that this makes sense...oh well, it's a Friday afternoon, right??

Cheers! --Kevin

Ken said...

Hi Rick,

Computers in the classroom is a hot topic when we are trying to work with reduced budgets. Most schools cannot afford to be in a technology race by updating all of their computers evry few years. So we must be sure that we are using them properly to justify their expense. Proper selection of software is essential as we saw in our readings from last week.

I look forward to working with you this semester,
Ken

Ken Capps said...

I liked this website. It is a good summary of what educators need to know about integrating computers into the classroom. I definitely agree with the first point (and probably the most important) that instructors must get support from their administration. Without this support (which in turn is the money) it is impossible to integrate computers or any technology. I also agree with the “start slow” philosophy. When I started teaching, I wanted to do it all (technology wise) at one time. I wanted to use PowerPoint, integrate computers in the lab, utilize WebCT, and computer modules all at once. I soon realized that this was impossible and found out the hard way to try one at a time. Again, I really liked this article.